Current time: 03-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Hello There, Guest! Register

New member registration process

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folks...

In order to somewhat mitigate the spam-bots of the world, we use an email confirmation process to validate new members. 

When you register to become a member of this Forum, you will receive an activation email at the address specified in the registration dialog.

This process 1) proves you are not a bot, since you can read a Capcha, and 2) proves that you submitted a valid email address.

Despite best intentions, we know that sometimes mail gets lost.

So, if you are awaiting confirmation, please be sure to check your "trash" or "junk" email folders as well as your inbox for the activation email.  If, after a few hours, you have not received an activation email, please email me directly and I will manually activate your account.

Thanks for your patience.
Dave
Yep
I found my activation email in my junk folder.
It was a Gmail email account so I suspect it will be the same to all Gmail recipients.
Hello Folks...

We have implemented yet another defence against the voracious spam-bots of the world.

What's new?
From now, new member registration requests will be automatically cancelled if the e-mailed activation link is not accessed by the prospective member within 7 days.

So please don't forget to check your various junk/spam mail folders.

Thanks
ADMINs
I run a discussion forum for our marina.
It has been working for about 8 years now.
Rather than "re-inventing the wheel" I use the SMF forum software.

We used to get a lot of "bots" trying to register on the forum.
SMF has addon modules - one of which links with http://www.stopforumspam.com/
Since implementing the StopForumSpam SMF module, virtually all our rogue membership applications have gone.

Do you have a means of doing the same?
It would save you a lot of time on this forum.

Just a thought.

Mike
Mike...

We have configured this forum with StopForumSpam, and it is very effective, almost perfect.  Still the odd bit of spam leaks through from "human" bots using stolen proxy IP's.  So we keep a close lookout...

Thanks
Dave
I had problems with the activation, nothing in trash and I even changed my email address to another provide which didn't help either. I then seen this post to email DSR,, alas I couldn't find DSR email address lol, not sure how the activation came about in the end I did message the Facebook group admin.
Welcome Aboard Jer Goes
(11-01-2015, 09:10 AM)dsr Wrote: Folks...

In order to somewhat mitigate the spam-bots of the world, we use an email confirmation process to validate new members. 

When you register to become a member of this Forum, you will receive an activation email at the address specified in the registration dialog.

This process 1) proves you are not a bot, since you can read a Capcha, and 2) proves that you submitted a valid email address.

Despite best intentions, we know that sometimes mail gets lost.

So, if you are awaiting confirmation, please be sure to check your "trash" or "junk" email folders as well as your inbox for the activation email.  If, after a few hours, you have not received an activation email, please email me directly and I will manually activate your account.

Thanks for your patience.
Dave
Dave,

A friend is trying to register and having trouble.  You say to email you directly but I and others cannot find an email address for you!

Would you please share your email address?  Thanks.

Terry
Terry....
Simplest way is to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page. When so used, my email spam-bot checker will automatically white-list any message from the Forum.

Thanks
Dave
(06-18-2016, 09:31 AM)dsr Wrote: Terry....
Simplest way is to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.  When so used, my email spam-bot checker will automatically white-list any message from the Forum.

Thanks
Dave

It appears he can't get far enough to see the link.  This is what he sent me:

"I did try to register at the opencpn forum but it gave me a message the system thinks I'm a spammer and I should contact the administrator to which no contact email or form is provided anymore on the site..."

His name is Yoram and his email address is yyanay@gmail.com

I can vouch for him as not being a spammer.  He is using the OpenCPN Android app, purchased version.

Terry