Current time: 03-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Hello There, Guest! Register

From cruisersforum.com OpenCPN thread: Android OpenCPN crashes when Adding Connection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(This is a verbatim copy of a posting I made at cruisersforum. Dave directed me here. So here goesSmile

I have an IRULU 9" Android tablet on which I installed OpenCPN about a year ago (when it was just released). I paid for it, on the Google Play store. Originally it worked great.

However, during one of the automatic updates, a few months ago, OpenCPN stopped having any use for me. The problem is that I cannot connect to wifi any more. As soon as I click on 'Add a connection' it crashes ("Unfortunately OpenCPN has stopped"). This seems entirely independent on what I enter as parameters, it happens every time. It also happens both on my boat's Wifi network (provided by the Vespermarine AIS transponder) and any other Wifi network I tried elsewhere, at home and at work. 

I "reported' the problem many times but nothing was ever fixed. I did include system logs in all cases. 

Why is wifi essential? Because it gets all the information from my AIS transponder, both location information and, obviously, AIS. Without it, it is a nice book reader but not an (Open) Chartplotter any more. 

The free version (Maison automatique), which I installed at the same time when I bought this one and kept as a backup, does not have the problem. It has other issues (related to chart access) which makes it not really usable either. But I did not pay for it so I cannot really complain. A gifted horse and all that...

Please help. I bought the tablet only to use for OpenCPN and now it is worthless for me
Hello ADdroïd

Did you realize the update in version 1.0.12?
(02-13-2017, 06:23 PM)Gilletarom Wrote: Hello ADdroïd

Did you realize the update in version 1.0.12?

That is a good question, what version I have. I tried to find it out somewhere in the app but could not find anything. 

However, when I go to the Google Play store, it shows the app as 'Installed' and it says version 1.0.12. 

So, I suppose this is what I have. If there is a way to verify that directly on the device, I would appreciate learning how to do that. 

Thanks.
ADroid...

Welcome back.
I see your crash report in the Google store logs, and have begun analysis.  Getting useful info from crash dumps is a bit like untangling spaghetti.  Takes a while...

I'll come back in a day or so with results, and we can go from there.

Dave
ADroid...

Cross posts here.

To know for sure which version of OpenCPN you have installed, go to Android Settings->Apps.  Look at the listing for OpenCPN.  The version number is shown in the page header.  Latest is 1.0.12

Thanks
Dave
(02-13-2017, 09:16 PM)dsr Wrote: ADroid...

Welcome back.
I see your crash report in the Google store logs, and have begun analysis.  Getting useful info from crash dumps is a bit like untangling spaghetti.  Takes a while...

I'll come back in a day or so with results, and we can go from there.

Dave

Thank you!!

(02-13-2017, 09:19 PM)dsr Wrote: ADroid...

Cross posts here.

To know for sure which version of OpenCPN you have installed, go to Android Settings->Apps.  Look at the listing for OpenCPN.  The version number is shown in the page header.  Latest is 1.0.12

Thanks
Dave

Ah, never thought of that.

OK, the version I have is, indeed, 1.0.12. 

Thanks!
ADroid...

I have dissected the crash report on adding a connection, and I see the trouble.  The fault relates only to devices that do not have an internal GPS.  This makes sense for your iRulu tablet.

There is no practical workaround for Version 1.0.12.

However, if you are able to sideload an app on this device, I can send you an upgraded interim version to get you going, and to confirm the fix.

Alternatively, we plan a new Release of OpenCPN for Android in a couple of weeks to fix this and a few other small problems.

So, your preference.  Testing an interim version on your device would be helpful to us., as a quick confirmation.

Dave
Thank you for working on it!

Yes, may be a bit confusing to the app. I believe the IRULU tablet does not have an internal GPS but some apps believe it does: I get a notice "Your device has an internal GPS, please turn it on" or similar, but when I try to turn it on, nothing happens. 

I can certainly wait a few weeks for a fix but if it helps you, I am more than willing to try to sideload an interim version. I have never sideloaded anything but I should figure it out.

So what should I do?
ADroid...

I'll build you a special edition, and post it on dropbox for downloading.
Look for a direct email from me, probably tomorrow, with the private link.

Thanks
Dave
Thumbs Up 
Got it, and it works. 

THANK YOU!  Shy