Current time: 03-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Hello There, Guest! Register

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.12 Released

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcement
------------

Hello Users...

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.12 is now available for download from the Google PlayStore.
If enabled on your device, you will receive an automatic upgrade to this Version.  Or, you may manually upgrade by visiting the Google PlayStore.

See the Changelog below for details regarding upgrades and improvements.

Thanks very much to the Beta testers who contributed lots of valuable time and energy toward making this Release the best ever.
I look forward to your continued support as we move forward with OpenCPN for Android in the mobile world.

Best Regards
Dave

1.0.12 Changelog

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.12 has many improvements affecting performance, reliability, and security. Visible user interface changes include the following:

1.  French language support fully implemented.
2.  Improved display rendering on high-display-density devices, especially for Vector charts and AIS overlays.
3.  Improved user interface for Chart Downloader PlugIn, especially affecting the chart catalog selection tree.
4.  Improved support for SDCards, see note below.
5.  Support for additional generic USB device inputs, including AMEC-150 AIS receiver.

SDCard support notes:

Background...
a)  Starting with Android Version 4 (KitKat), access to the SDCard has been limited by the operating system. This was done to improve overall system security, so that one app may not accidentally or intentionally corrupt another app's private data. This change means that it is not possible to write to the card generally, but writing is permitted only in areas (directories) of the card that are allocated to a particular application.
b)  As a further complication, the directory referring to an external SDCard within the Android file system is not generally called "sdcard".  This name, "sdcard" is reserved for emulated external storage space, and really points to internal storage in the device.  The true name for a physical SDCard in Android version 4+ is determined by the device manufacturer, and varies from device to device.  This can (and has) made it difficult to load charts from a PC by USB cable, and then later find and attach them to the OpenCPN chart list.

Mitigation:
We have added "shortcut" buttons to the directory picker dialog in OpenCPN to allow the user to directly navigate to the normal device file storage area, and also directly to the accessible and writable directory space of any physical SDCard installed.  This will affect two common OpenCPN activities.

a)  Connect your device to a PC and transfer some charts to the card, in whatever structure suits you.  Start OpenCPN, and navigate to the "add charts" function. You will be able to touch the "SDCard" shortcut button to access the assigned area of physical card space.  You may then navigate up and down the physical SDCard storage tree to find your new charts.  If you get lost in the structure, touch the "SDCard" shortcut button again to reset. Find your new charts, and select that directory.  The charts will then be available to OpenCPN.  Note that these charts will be "Read-only" to the Android system, unless they are placed in the directory assigned to OpenCPN by the Android system, or a subdirectory of that assigned space.  That is fine, since OpenCPN does not need "write" access to the chart directories in order to display the manually loaded charts.

b)  The Chart Downloader requires "write" access to the directory subtree containing the charts and catalogs.  If you want to store your downloaded charts on the SDCard, and you are using Android Version 5 or higher, you must set the Chart Downloader base directory to the location suggested by the "SDCard" shortcut button in the OpenCPN directory selector dialog, or a subdirectory of that location.  For example, on a particular device, the "SDCard" short-cut location may be something like:  "/storage/CO2C-1BF1/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files".  The string "CO2C-1BF1" is a UUID associated with this particular card, and will not be the same on your device.  You may reasonably create a new directory called "/storage/CO2C-1BF1/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files/Charts".  This directory will be "writable" to Android, and so is suitable for Chart Downloader use.  When activated, the Chart Downloader will check to verify that the selected directory is actually "writable" when needed, and show a message dialog to the user if it is not.
Hello Dave,

I want to report a problem with my openCPN-APP at my Galaxy Tab A SM-T555:

The OpenCPN Version 1.0.12 does not receive data from my AIS transponder AMEC CAMINO-108 I have connected to the USB interface.
When I use the app "USB serial console" configured to 96008N1, I can see all messages from my AIS transponder: AIS messages and GPS messages.
I tried to configure the connection in the OpenCPN in this way:
DataPort AUSBSerial: USBDP-2504/3209
Baudrate 9600
Protocol NMEA0183
Priority 1

The OpenCPN does not show received AIS vessels on the map and no received messages in the NMEA Debug Window.

If I use the Android Settings menu, as you recommend, I can see the USB connection with Vid/Pid: 2504/3209.
If I select this, the NMEA Debug Window remains empty.
If I select the internal GPS receiver, than the NMEA Debug Window shows the received NMEA messages.

Please give me some hints how to find out what the problem is and to solve it.
It would be nice to solve the problem before the boat season 2017 starts.

At a Windows PC the openCPN works fine when receiving the AIS messages and GPS messages from my AIS transponder at the same interface (in my case COM18 with 9600 8N1).

Thanks and best regards
Dirk
Dirk...

This problem has been noted and reported elsewhere.

I presently am awaiting delivery of an AMEC Camino-108 transponder to test and correct this bug.  Should arrive within a few days, and we will get to the bottom of the trouble.

I expect no trouble resolving this issue when I have the unit available in our test labs.

Thanks, and Welcome aboard.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I would like to report a couple of problems with the latest release.

1. I have one particular chart that does not take any chart correction anymore with this update. It was working in the previous version. However, the chart will show if there is no correction file. And the chart will disappear if any correction file for that chart was exist.

2. It appears to me that there is a problem with chart quilting in this version. Charts were not quilted properly when charts of different scales were mixed in display.

Best regards,

Bruce
Bruce...

Welcome aboard.

Can you post some screen shots and more detail on the problems you observe?
I'll take a look and see what is different here.

Thanks
Dave
How to post attachment? I could not find a link!
Bruce...

There is a little blue button "Add Attachment" just above the "Post Reply" button, bottom of the screen.  You may need to scroll up to see it.

Thanks
Dave
(02-17-2017, 01:20 AM)dsr Wrote: Bruce...

There is a little blue button "Add Attachment" just above the "Post Reply" button, bottom of the screen.  You may need to scroll up to see it.

Thanks
Dave

Chart C506W was not displayed.

Thanks
Dave

Chart C506W was not displayed even the outline was not shown.

Thanks
Dave

Some other charts also were not displayed as well.

Thanks
Dave

Chart elements were not displayed properly.

Hi Dave,

There was a 500k limits on attachment in this forum. Most of the screen captures that I have were over that limits. It does take some additional time to convert all the oversized PNG file to JPG before submitting for your assistance. Perhaps, make the limit a bit higher.

Bruce
Bruce...

Thanks for the screenshots. I will load these charts on my test devices and report back soon.

Dave