Current time: 03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Hello There, Guest! Register

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.11 Beta Test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello users and testers.

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.11 is now available for Beta testing.

You may opt-in to this test program by visiting the following link

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org...pn.opencpn

This Beta test version is functionally complete in all respects.   It has been heavily alpha tested.  There should be no changes required to your loaded chart sets nor to your configuration files.

If necessary (due to unexpected and/or serious bugs), you may later downgrade from the Beta version to the previous production version at your option.

It is expected that the Beta will transition to Production status after a week or so of testing.  At that time, you will automatically receive the latest Production version update if so enabled in your device settings.

I would greatly appreciate feedback here on this Forum thread regarding your experiences with the Beta version.

Thanks as always
Dave

1.0.11 Changelog

OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.11 has many improvements affecting performance, reliability, and security. Visible user interface changes include the following:

1.  French language support fully implemented.
2.  Improved display rendering on high-display-density devices, especially for Vector charts and AIS overlays.
3.  Improved user interface for Chart Downloader PlugIn, especially affecting the chart catalog selection tree.
4.  Improved support for SDCards, see note below.
5.  Support for additional generic USB device inputs, including AMEC-150 AIS receiver.

SDCard support notes:

Background...
a)  Starting with Android Version 4 (KitKat), access to the SDCard has been limited by the operating system. This was done to improve overall system security, so that one app may not accidentally or intentionally corrupt another app's private data. This change means that it is not possible to write to the card generally, but writing is permitted only in areas (directories) of the card that are allocated to a particular application.
b)  As a further complication, the directory referring to an external SDCard within the Android file system is not generally called "sdcard".  This name, "sdcard" is reserved for emulated external storage space, and really points to internal storage in the device.  The true name for a physical SDCard in Android version 4+ is determined by the device manufacturer, and varies from device to device.  This can (and has) made it difficult to load charts from a PC by USB cable, and then later find and attach them to the OpenCPN chart list.

Mitigation:
We have added "shortcut" buttons to the directory picker dialog in OpenCPN to allow the user to directly navigate to the normal device file storage area, and also directly to the accessible and writable directory space of any physical SDCard installed.  This will affect two common OpenCPN activities.

a)  Connect your device to a PC and transfer some charts to the card, in whatever structure suits you.  Start OpenCPN, and navigate to the "add charts" function. You will be able to touch the "SDCard" shortcut button to access the assigned area of physical card space.  You may then navigate up and down the physical SDCard storage tree to find your new charts.  If you get lost in the structure, touch the "SDCard" shortcut button again to reset. Find your new charts, and select that directory.  The charts will then be available to OpenCPN.  Note that these charts will be "Read-only" to the Android system, unless they are placed in the directory assigned to OpenCPN by the Android system, or a subdirectory of that assigned space.  That is fine, since OpenCPN does not need "write" access to the chart directories in order to display the manually loaded charts.

b)  The Chart Downloader requires "write" access to the directory subtree containing the charts and catalogs.  If you want to store your downloaded charts on the SDCard, and you are using Android Version 5 or higher, you must set the Chart Downloader base directory to the location suggested by the "SDCard" shortcut button in the OpenCPN directory selector dialog, or a subdirectory of that location.  For example, on a particular device, the "SDCard" short-cut location may be something like:  "/storage/CO2C-1BF1/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files".  The string "CO2C-1BF1" is a UUID associated with this particular card, and will not be the same on your device.  You may reasonably create a new directory called "/storage/CO2C-1BF1/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files/Charts".  This directory will be "writable" to Android, and so is suitable for Chart Downloader use.  When activated, the Chart Downloader will check to verify that the selected directory is actually "writable" when needed, and show a message dialog to the user if it is not.
Hello Dave,

The installation of the beta test was normal. Just be patient to complete the installation.

Normal operation of the GPS.

For now, no bugs, no crash. Normal display of CM93 charts and raster charts.

Just a difficulty to create a folder "Routes" in which I want to export the file gpx of a route. I did not succeed. I will test again.

Chartdowloder: Functioning correct.This said, since I installed O1.0.11 on my smartphone, so on a small screen, we must be careful what we do with our fingers.

Also try to donwload a grib file. Very nice and very speedy with GFS model but I not success with RTOFS model..

Best regards. Gilletarom
Dave,

Re: Testing AOCPN 1.0.11-beta

There are three ENC cells that cause Android versions of OpenCPN (1.0.10 and 1.0.11-beta) to crash when they are encountered while processing the "Scan Charts and Update Database" (selected under Options > Charts > Chart Files). These cells are

/sdcard/Charts/ENC/BE_INLAND/Kanaal Gent-Oostende/7W7GENO3.000
    /sdcard/Charts/ENC/RS_INLAND/2P7SA138.000
    /sdcard/Charts/ENC/US_INLAND_BUOYS/3UABUOYS/3UABUOYS.000

These charts were first downloaded to Windows where they work in OpenCPN. They were transferred to an Android (4.4.2) tablet on a microSD card. The BE_INLAND (Belgium), RS_INLAND (Serbia) chart catalogs include many other cells which work on the Android and Windows versions of OpenCPN.

The 3UABUOYS can be downloaded from

http://ec2-54-235-76-27.compute-1.amazon...ABUOYS.zip

The 3UABUOY overlay works (does not crash) the Windows version of OpenCPN. It contains positions and characteristics of buoys that are maintained by the US Coast Guard on the inland waterways that are maintained and charted by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Paul
Paul...

Thanks to your very specific error report, I was able to discover the trouble with these three S57 cells.  The trouble related to an edge case involving the chart lat/lon extent calculation. The correction will appear in the official 1.0.12 Release due out in a few days.

Thanks again...
Dave
Dave,

I switched the language in my copy of the 1.0.11 Beta to French. The text boxes that are mostly the same in the Android and Windows versions of OpenCPN are displayed in French as they should be, but the text boxes that are unique to Android (white characters on black background) are all in English.

From your first post in this thread:

Quote:1.0.11 Changelog

1.  French language support fully implemented.

It does not appear to be "fully implemented" on my Android.

Paul
Paul...

Try switching the language of the device to French, using the Android Settings->Language option.  This will automatically enable French for the internal OpenCPN messages.

Thanks for looking at the Beta.  The Release is coming soon.

Dave
Dave,

Setting the language in the Andriod device settings to French did change the white on black texts in OpenCPN to French.

Even better, changing the language setting in the Android device settings to English and the language setting in OpenCPN Wrench_Icon (a.k.a. Options) > Level_Sliders_Icon (a.k.a. User Interface) to English got my language back.

I am looking forward to the new release.

Thank you,
Paul