Current time: 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Hello There, Guest! Register

Australian Charts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Dave, I purchased the android system with a view to using similar charts to those on my pc's. I used chart downloader and was able to get the New Zealand enc loaded.However they do not appear to contain the info for the area of Australia that I sail in?

Do you know what charts other boaties in Australia  use?

Cheers Peter.   
p.s. I'm completely computer illiterate
(12-18-2016, 07:11 PM)elevation Wrote: Hi Dave, I purchased the android system with a view to using similar charts to those on my pc's. I used chart downloader and was able to get the New Zealand enc loaded.However they do not appear to contain the info for the area of Australia that I sail in?

Do you know what charts other boaties in Australia  use?

Cheers Peter.   
p.s. I'm completely computer illiterate

Hi

I use the CM93 charts that can be downloaded from the internet.  I've been using them for at least 15 years and find them as good as the commercial charts.  

I have Open CPN running on a laptop connected to an AIS which multiplexes the depth/ water temp etc. with the GPS and other vessels.

The Android part is on an old Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 which runs of a network from the laptop.  The network is using an old WiFi modem which doesn't have any credit to connect with Telstra.
The tablet shows everything thats on the laptop.

Charts are on both laptop and tablet and are the whole world.  I make overlays of tricky bits like the entrance to Lake Macquarie with GE2KAP from Google Earth.  This is a great program and calibrates the "chart" at whatever scale you're looking at.

My boat's always on Marine Traffic (503231300) so if you're around Pittwater you can find me and I can help you out

Peter
(12-18-2016, 07:11 PM)elevation Wrote: Do you know what charts other boaties in Australia  use?

Cheers Peter.   

Hi Peter,

The cm93 charts are popular with many cruisers and are quite good for places down under.

You can get a 2007 version here.

And don't be shy about asking for help on the forum!

Terry